English 9: Child Rights

While reading a humanium.org article titled “Girls Rights”, we highlighted all numbers. Although there were some repeated figures, we all highlighted about 20 facts that included numbers (eg. 50% of sexual assaults worldwide happen to girls under the age of 16).

We then fact checked one numerical piece of information first by seeing what we could find by narrowing our search to Unicef sites and, then, more broadly. Some of us found it really challenging to find information that substantiated the claim in the article. For some it was simple.

We then made a poster that visually represented our finding. We used bar charts or pie graphs, depending on what we thought would communicate our finding the most clearly.

Finally, we need to complete the self-reflection:

1. Why did I choose to create the poster I did (paragraph response)? Remember to begin with a topic sentence, provide supporting details and finish up with a clear concluding sentence.
  2. How simple or difficult was it to fact check your numerical evidence and why (short answer)?
  3. Why else do you need to know to fully understand the child human right violation you chose to visually represent?  Ask yourself: what else do I need to know about this topic to be more of an expert?